OK, OK, now that I have a few seconds of peace, I'll respond for real. I'm totally torn. I'm a little surprised because I personally think it's appropriate to have your hand on your heart during the national anthem. On the other hand, he's focused on it, even singing along while HER gaze flits about, matching the vacant expression that proves she's not really into it. Then they BOTH prove their tackiness in the end by clapping for the national anthem. I was taught that clapping is inappropriate, but I was never taught that I HAD to put my hand on my heart... just stand. In the end, I'm just glad I'm not voting for any Democrats anyway!
I forgot to mention that I'm also going to give them the benefit of the doubt that there was another flag displayed somewhere over where they were looking, otherwise their gaze should have been facing the giant flag behind them like the other guys the viedo panned over to.
Yeah, I guess you could argue that. I mean paying attention or not, it seems like he was trying to make a statement... I jsut can't figure out what that statement was. I mean, why not just put your hand on your heart and go with the flow unless you have something to protest against, you know?
I think it is not a good sign whether intentional or not. Especially if you are running for president. I will have to agree that the singing was horrible, maybe that is the statement he was making.
Hey girl, I did some googling and found this statement from Obama "My grandfather taught me when I was 2. During the Pledge of Allegiance, you put your and over your heart. During the national anthem, you sing."
And when Inside Edition ran a segment on the issue they included some images of the senator standing with his hand over his heart during other playings of the national anthem.
Here is a fantastic website on the "urban ledgend".
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/anthem.asp
I'm not saying that I LOVE Obama or that I'm even going to vote for him. But I don't want us to get our panties in a whirl if there's really nothing to worry about.
1st off...awesome singer. not. i thought, "what song did she turn this one into?" 2nd off...is that obama? :) that is too bad. :( hopefully he just forgot? but i don't know...I mean, somethings you just program into your brain. Like, when you get into a car, you buckle up. When you hear the national anthem (or whatever that rendition was) you put your hand on your heart. interesting...
Yeah, I'm not trying to get anyone's panties in a bunch or anything, I frankly don't care too much... I jsut think it's super tacky of a presidential candidate and thought it would lead itself into some interesting opinions
Although my thoughts of him did decrease a little bit after see this, also another interview where he was refusing to wear an American flag pin on his lapel... I jsut don't get it.
I think the singing is absolutely horrific... that's a whole other debate!
Just wondering what other people thought of his gesture.
SO both Edwards and Obama didn't put their hands over their heart. The rumors are true. Frankly, I think as long as you stand at attention, it's aproppriate (why can't I spell that word right??!!!) hand or no hand over the heart. Personally I think there should be a public outcry to have that woman's voice box taken out!!!
10 comments:
You mean the atrocious singing? ;)
OK, OK, now that I have a few seconds of peace, I'll respond for real. I'm totally torn. I'm a little surprised because I personally think it's appropriate to have your hand on your heart during the national anthem. On the other hand, he's focused on it, even singing along while HER gaze flits about, matching the vacant expression that proves she's not really into it. Then they BOTH prove their tackiness in the end by clapping for the national anthem. I was taught that clapping is inappropriate, but I was never taught that I HAD to put my hand on my heart... just stand. In the end, I'm just glad I'm not voting for any Democrats anyway!
I forgot to mention that I'm also going to give them the benefit of the doubt that there was another flag displayed somewhere over where they were looking, otherwise their gaze should have been facing the giant flag behind them like the other guys the viedo panned over to.
Yeah, I guess you could argue that. I mean paying attention or not, it seems like he was trying to make a statement... I jsut can't figure out what that statement was. I mean, why not just put your hand on your heart and go with the flow unless you have something to protest against, you know?
I think it is not a good sign whether intentional or not. Especially if you are running for president. I will have to agree that the singing was horrible, maybe that is the statement he was making.
Hey girl,
I did some googling and found this statement from Obama
"My grandfather taught me when I was 2. During the Pledge of Allegiance, you put your and over your heart. During the national anthem, you sing."
And when Inside Edition ran a segment on the issue they included some images of the senator standing with his hand over his heart during other playings of the national anthem.
Here is a fantastic website on the "urban ledgend".
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/anthem.asp
I'm not saying that I LOVE Obama or that I'm even going to vote for him. But I don't want us to get our panties in a whirl if there's really nothing to worry about.
1st off...awesome singer. not. i thought, "what song did she turn this one into?"
2nd off...is that obama? :) that is too bad. :( hopefully he just forgot? but i don't know...I mean, somethings you just program into your brain. Like, when you get into a car, you buckle up. When you hear the national anthem (or whatever that rendition was) you put your hand on your heart.
interesting...
:) nice post, my dear, nice post.
Yeah, I'm not trying to get anyone's panties in a bunch or anything, I frankly don't care too much... I jsut think it's super tacky of a presidential candidate and thought it would lead itself into some interesting opinions
Although my thoughts of him did decrease a little bit after see this, also another interview where he was refusing to wear an American flag pin on his lapel... I jsut don't get it.
I think the singing is absolutely horrific... that's a whole other debate!
Just wondering what other people thought of his gesture.
SO both Edwards and Obama didn't put their hands over their heart. The rumors are true. Frankly, I think as long as you stand at attention, it's aproppriate (why can't I spell that word right??!!!) hand or no hand over the heart.
Personally I think there should be a public outcry to have that woman's voice box taken out!!!
Post a Comment