Oh my goodness, I can't believe a whole year has gone by! Where has all the time gone? I know I already posted about Tristan's birthday, which was a smash, by the way! But I just wanted to address the fact that it's been a whole year! (Did I mention it'd been a WHOLE year... okay)
I have the most fantastic pictures of Tristan, once again, thanks to Brianne Glover Photography for doing an amazing job on them!
Seriously, I thought I have coped with Tristan's experience pretty well, maybe better than one would expect. But there are a few times where I still find myself getting choked up over the memory of all that she and our family went through, and just how special she is to our family.
Yesterday as we started off the Heart Walk, I saw a girl there that I knew from church. She was surprised to see me and there and I her, and when she asked why I was there, and I had to briefly jog her memory and explain a little about Tristan, I was fighting back tears. A whole year later and I have to fight back tears just telling someone why we are sponsering a Heart Walk. Maybe that part never goes away, because maybe everytime I have to really stop and think back to it all, I just remember everything about it, and what a sweet child she is.
Last nite at the birthday party TJ took a second to thank everyone for coming, but also to thank everyone for being there and supporting our family while Tristan went through her surgery, and once again my eyes started watering. There were so many friends and families and family members that showed so much love to us during that time, I don't think we'll ever be able to properly thank everyone.
Sometimes as I think about why I am so touched by her and her story, I think it's getting worse as the time goes on. Maybe because now I'm so much more attached to her and her personality than I was a year ago, and I'm so glad that I didn't have to miss out on a great first year with her.
She truly is a little blessing to our family, and like every child, I can't even imagine what our family would be like today without her, and without having gone through her experiences.
Here's a poem I found, it's not directly related to heart kids, but rather trials in general. I like it.

I have a thorn in my side
And it hurts sometimes
Reminds me I'm only human
But every tear I cry
Waters a ground that's dry
And soon the flowers blossom
Like a rainbow follows bad weather
Hard times will only make me better
'Cause roses and thorns grow together
So I don't lose faith when the storm clouds roll.
'Cause I know the trials will strengthen my soul...
Making me whole.
-Hilary Weeks

I have a thorn in my side
And it hurts sometimes
Reminds me I'm only human
But every tear I cry
Waters a ground that's dry
And soon the flowers blossom
Like a rainbow follows bad weather
Hard times will only make me better
'Cause roses and thorns grow together
So I don't lose faith when the storm clouds roll.
'Cause I know the trials will strengthen my soul...
Making me whole.
-Hilary Weeks



Read more about Tristan's story here.
11 comments:
those pics are fantastic!!
the word is "tender", at least that's the word I have been able to use to try to describe why I tear up when I talk about Isaac or retell parts of his story, cuz his sweet spirit and his story and the experience of it all is just so tender. Tritan's story is tender too!! luv ya!
Okay, I love those Fruit Loops pictures. Too cute. Happy Birthday, Tristan. Such a sweetie. :)
tender is the perfect word for the special sweetness I feel toward her story.
I'm totally in love with the fruit loops... it took a lot of coersing to get her to think it was fun time, not picture time! As you saw from the family pics down below... she hated having her picture taken!
super cute pics!!
Those pictures are adorable! I love how she's grabbing the Fruit Loops by the handfull. Probably in an attempt to keep her two sisters from eating any! :) She's a beautiful little girl with a great story to share.
your pictures turned out great! much cuter than the cheese i get done at portrait innovations.
i hope you guys had fun in CO - even if it wasn't as fun as it COULD HAVE BEEN! ;)
She is just darling! It really is amazing that it has been a whole year since she was born. What a great addition to your family. Her b-day party was fantastic! Thanks for letting us be a part of the celebration!
Very cute. I hope she didn't eat those cereal pieces! Red 40 causes cancer ya know. www.feingold.org Congrats on the first birthday Tristan!
Maria
Hey...I was on facebook and one friend lead to another and another and then I was on one blog which lead to another and wound up looking at yours! This is Tiffany Finley...maybe you remember me from Longmont? Anyway, cute family! Glad to see life's going well for you:)!
Red #40... yah, I bet if you comsumed mass quantities, and maybe straight you might get cnacer soley from the dye... but I'm thinking those 20 dyed cheerioes... aren't going to give her cancer.
oh man, that is CLEVER-- distract them with CUTE cereal! (not just the typical cheerios.) I'm gonna steal that idea. :)
Happy birthday, sweet girl-- and mama, hang in there. It's good to feel tender!
Post a Comment