Seriously, what is wrong with them? I don't even know if they work directly for the city or not, but what is wrong with them?!! We went to the library today. Yeah, two years here and we finally made it there, AND got a library card, I know, big deal, huh? Anyway, the place was like a dead zone, I spotted like 5 people across the entire place and 3 of them were employees.
Anyway, I walked right up to one and asked about getting a L-card, and he asked me if I had EVER had a library card before. I was slightly confused by the question (who's confused by that?!) Because sure I HAD before in my life been the holder of a library card, to a library somewhere on this Earth, is that what he really wanted to know. I think he sensed my confusion, and then when I said, yes, I had indeed held a L card before, he calrified and asked if it was in the SA area... AH, makes much more sense. He should have just asked that in the flippin' beginning.
So, he gives me the "application." And then tells me I can have a seat at the table to fill that out. What? I mean, it was my name and address... how long does it take you to come up with that info? So I slid down the counter, so I wasn't in anybody's way, and proceeded to fill it out. Mind you I do have 3 kiddos with me, one of which is asleep in a carseat. He then tells me again, that I need to take a seat at a table to fill it out... okay? So I had to go find a table that didn't have mounds of books at it, rope my kids into sitting down, long enough for me to wrap up writing my zip code in before I could take it back. Seriously... how do they find these people to work at these places?
Anyway, good news, my application passed. Apparently my library score is high enough to get a card. Yeah, I did eventually take that ONE book back, and therefore there aren't too many damaging dings on my L record.... for real, is anyone ever DENIED a card? like maybe if they don't live there or something, but who makes up fake addresses, just so they can get in on the children's book action?
So, it's official we are now book-lending citizens of SA! Cool, huh?
3 comments:
I just got a L card for Louisville. they wanted proof of me living of working in Jefferson County. I don't live there. and the only thing I had on me as proof of me working there was the shirt I was wearing which had the company name on it, and the ad from craigslist for the job posting. they "let it slide this one time" Whew I passed too.
Yeah, that's frustrating, but at least it made for a good story!
And they wonder why people don't go there more often...
Post a Comment